Trademark Registration In UAE - Q&A
- How do you define a trademark?
-A trademark is a type of intellectual property consisting of a recognizable sign, design, or expression that identifies products or services.
-In the UAE, a trademark can be a name, word, signature, drawing, packaging etc.
- What are some of the criteria for registering a trademark in UAE?
-Anything that distinguishes one good from another qualifies. And it must be used in a commercial setting, to enjoy protection.
-Ordinary elements related to a person, which do not distinguish them, do not qualify as a trademark. Also, certain public symbols or words cannot be trademarked.
- Does the UAE have trademark laws and if so, what are they?
-Federal Decree Law No. 36 of 2021.
-And Cabinet Resolution No. 57 of 2022 re: Executive Regulations to the Trademark Law.
- Is the UAE a member of any international trademark protocols or treaties?
-The U.A.E. adopted the Nice Classification system in its Federal Decree-Law No. 156 of 2021.
-Also, in 2021, the UAE adopted the Madrid Protocol, which is the Federal Decree-Law No. 67.
- How much does it cost for trademark registration in UAE?
-The initial application fee is AED 750/trademark.
-And the trademark registration fee is AED 5,000.
- What are the penalties for trademark infringement?
Anything from closing down the business, to seizing and destroying the goods, 3) to fines, which can range from AED 10,000 – AED 1 million.
No comment yet, add your voice below!